Monday 9 August 2010

Something to think about.

I saw my ex-colleague who has cancer during the Prize presentation at the Empire. I saw her from afar. At first I didn’t know her husband also took part and I didn’t see her. Then after the ceremony I saw her with her husband. I waved at her and she waved back. I didn’t get a proper chance to say hi. I knew she had cancer, although not from her own mouth. But more from the grapevine. I wanted to know and asked her. But what is the best way to ask something like that? I didn’t want to sound indifferent. I want to be symphetatic but at the same time not to be too intruding. I know some people didn’t like to talk about this kind of stuff. And I feel I need to be very careful when asking. In the end, it was left at that.

Then I contacted her via msn today, to say I was sorry I didn’t get the chance to talk to her. She said it was ok, they were in a hurry too. And she said, it was good to see you, you looked fit and well. I was “this close” to ask her but I didn’t. I just said, how are things with you? She replied, Alhamdulilah, everything is ok. And thats it. I was sad, I know we weren’t close but I feel I need to give her assurance and comfort that everything is indeed ok.

I am yet to muster the courage to ask someone if he/she is really ill. I worry I may hurt people’s feelings. But is asking whether you are sick or not, really hurt people’s feelings? I need some guidance!

No comments: