Friday 20 August 2010

Short working hours and other stuff in Ramadan

I love Ramadan because...

Well, apart from all the Berakah and Rahmah of this holy month, its the short working hours! The best privilege any Muslim could have for one whole month. I believe most muslim countries including ours here in Brunei do the same.

Wonder why this is done?

As we all know, during Ramadan Muslims refrain from food and drink and this of course may cause fatique and tiredness. Especially in this weather, its so easy to dehydrate and lost focus. People tend to lose much sleep as well. Therefore its only right that the authority reduces the working hours for Muslim to rest and absorb the month more freely. But for me, I don’t really feel any difference working during Ramadan, except for the short working hours of course, which is rather nice. It feels good to be home around 2.30-3pm every day. I have some time to perform my Zohor and Asar (we don’t usually have much time to do this during normal hours), I can rest a little and spend more time in the kitchen preparing the meals for sungkai.

And I find there is always time to do other ibadah as well. I've started reading the Quran translations again. I havent finished reading it since last year and I feel so ashamed of myself. I feel its good for me to know what I am reading so I opted to read the translation and how I feel Allah talk to me in the Quran. Its feel so good to know what Allah is saying and now I can pin point where and how some events happened from the Quran. Wow... Its very powerful. I thanked hubby for recommending this way of reading to me. I really feel so close to Allah. Syukur Alhamdulilah.

Back to the working hours.... Our working hours are the best I think, we finish at 1pm! Yes... 1pm. And its even earlier on Friday. Too bad we live in Bandar and we still have to travel back and reach home around 2.30pm. Imagine those people living in Seria/KB. They must reach home around 1.15pm. Isnt that great! Although I know some of the people working here are really workaholic and they don’t leave office until about 3-4pm. Maybe they think its a good idea just to do your work in the office killing time for sungkai rather than be at home and doze off. Its all up to you. What you think best works for you isn’t it?

The only issue hubby and I have for now is the waking up in the morning. We have sahur around 3.30am, and finishes up around 4.15 – 4.30am. We rest a little, doze a little hahaha... and wake up again around 5am, shower, do our Subuh prayer and off the road around 5.45am. Its kind of tiring for a while. But we still have to do it. And it usually hit us in the early afternoon. Thats when we feel tired and need a few hours of nap to rest. So what I do now is to retire early in the evening. I don’t watch too much tv anymore and try to go to bed around 9.30pm. Then I will feel refresh and enough sleep for the next day.

And Alhamdulilah. So far so good. We are doing ok.

No comments: