Friday 25 June 2010

Something to ponder from a mother's perspective

As a mother, my mission is to give the best possible care for my daughter. I think I’ve done well and I feel its not the hardest profession in the world, although there is always up and downs but so far it went well. Its not as if I have 12 children, I only have one. And she is not a child anymore but a 16 year old young lady who is blooming into adulthood.

Although there are times when I doubt my own way of parenting. I may be too flexible and giving her so much. But hey, who could blame me? She is my one and only so all my love and support goes to her. I am trying my best to make her happy and comfortable in her own right and setting. I still treats her like a young child though, still give her lots of hugs and kisses, and she sometimes doesn’t like it. She did mention to me not to treat her like a kid anymore. I am trying that too. To give her more space and privacy. Afterall, everyone knows a teenager needs her space and doesn’t like to be bothered too much. And its hard for me since I have no other children. And I still have lots of love to give. Loneliness comes knocking sometimes when I am on my own while she is happily tapping away on her laptop in her room.

I sometimes miss the time when she was a baby, to hold her, hug her and smother her with kisses. I remember very vividly how cute she was. And now those times were all gone. I treasure those moments as long as I live of course.

We are planning to go away for a few days in July. And I want her to go with us. She didnt seem too happy about it, since she would miss school for 2 days. She doesn’t want to miss school because her exam is looming. But I still want her to go with us. She said she wanted to stay at home but I am worried to leave her on her own for a few days. I will be wrecked with guilt for leaving her. On the other hand, I also knew deep down she doesn’t want to be parted with me so she is also in a cross road. What a difficult situation it was! So at last she reluctantly agreed to go although she might be a bit not happy about it. The thing is, I don’t feel complete if one of us are missing from any outings. Thats how I value their presence in my life (that goes to hubby as well).

This has been a stressful year for my daughter and for us too, and the most crucial time. I hope by next year we would be able to look back and learn on some events that happen this year. And to be able to smile and say something like, we did it! also.

No comments: