Wednesday 9 June 2010

Pasar Malam (Night market)

I accompanied my husband to the Pasar Malam Saturday night to snap some pictures together with his Brunei forever buddies. Pasar Malam is “night market”, located in Gadong area near the Mall. It’s a buzz place, where you could find night stalls (gerai) selling anything under the sun, I mean food wise and some other things like clothings, toys, handbags, perfumes or CD and DVDs. They also have another part of the gerai for vegetables and fruits. This place will even get busier when the fruit seasons come. They are all reasonably price and affordable and the food were really delicious. Like nasi ayam which costs around B$3.50 in restaurant sells at B$2 here so its really good bargain.

It’s a very popular place in Brunei, to locals and tourists alike. You can find anything here. From grilled food, satay, kebabs, fried rice, nasi lemak and every local delicacies. It starts around 4pm and lasts until 2 or 3 in the morning, every day, 365 days a year. So if you come to Brunei, don’t forget to drop by here, even Bobby Chinn knows these place lol.. But let me just warn you the place could be hot and stuffy and smoky too. And the smoke and smell of grilled food will surely follows you back home lol…

We arrived there around 7.30pm and the lots were already gathered and one of them was giving some briefing. Sorry I don’t even know the names of these lads so there isn’t going to be names mentioned lol. But it did turn out fun and I enjoyed all the jalan-jalan, although I wasn’t the taking pictures except for some. I was a little bit apprehensive at first whether it would be ok taking pictures of all these people but I guess they were used to it. Afterall we were not the first one who snapped pictures here, it was such a popular place and they were used to all these cameras. So nothing to worry about there.
These are some of the buddies with hubby.

The vegetables and fruits section. Signboard
Customers

Array of drinks, this one is selling "Air Tebu" or sugarcane drink

This kid is waiting for his kebab, yumm..

Hubby caught these tourists trying out their food with each other
Mistaken identity? Its not kebab, but burgers hehe

Teh tarik, or pulled tea in process. I ordered this actually. Nice hot drink
Do I look exhausted or what? I told you it was hot here

Getting ready to grill the chicken
Berbeque fish, anyone?
Drinks for sale, different colours and taste

Not only food, but clothings and perfume too!
I pity this poor lady, she must be so tired and fell asleep while the husband keep an eye on her. Thats what I called true love!

One of hubby buddies snapping pictures

I told you they sell everything here, thats noddles and this stall also sells recharge cards

Poor little kid, I guess its passed his bed time. He looked tired and sleepy.

The dark side........


No comments: