Thursday 24 June 2010

Grumble about work

I have a trying day at the office today. One of my staff is leaving soon, to a new and greener pasture at the other side of the fence. I am not complaining. She earned this and I have no problem with her leaving. I am wishing her all the best and this is the best next level for her career development.

But what I am worried about is the fact that she is leaving a void in my section. Nobody to replace her at the moment, due to some company policy or something. So its going to be vacant and all her work left behind has to be carried out by her other two colleagues. I want to be indifferent, as if I didn’t care but I couldn’t. Something is at stake here so I couldn’t just ignore. I have to ensure all business taken care of, no matter what. Thats what I am getting paid here to do.

So I called all 3 and had a short meeting. I explained the situation, to the best of my knowledge. Telling them we had to let her go otherwise she will lose this opportunity. I think we all wished for her to stay until a replacement is identified but I don’t think thats going to happen. Definitely a cross road. But we have to let her go, this is a new job and a promotion we are talking about! I am sure she wants to be released (its up to me to do that) so I will be responsible if I don’t release her on time. Its just a wrong timing for everyone. So those two poor souls have to bear the burden of having to do extra work until the system stabilized. Its not everyone fault really but I still think its rather fortunate to encounter such situation.

Well.. its not easy to be a supervisor. I have to think of the feeling and welfare of these people at the same time, I need to consider business has to continue. Or those contractors wont get paid on time!

So I am sure for now, there are some happy and not so happy people in my section. And thats the way its gonna be. Until I figure out how to unburden the situation.

No comments: