Monday 28 September 2009

Long lost cousin?

Ok, I've got to record and document this, should go into history and down the memory lane. It shouldnt be forgotten till the end of time (not)!

What I wanted to write is about the cousin of mine. Its a long story between my dad and his step brother. Out of the blue, they came into the picture, after all these time. I am not here to bad-mouth them but its just funny to think and to say after all these years, after a number of wedding invitations from my parents for our weddings, after letting them know that my dad's mom has died they didnt turn up at all. Then this year they came to mend the broken link. Amazing! I guess they were offering peace and forgiveness. And of course, as a muslim and as relatives we opened our arms to accept them.

They visited my parents house last saturday, the whole family, in conjuction with Hari Raya celebrations. My brother let us know about the visit but hubby and I had other plans so we didnt join them. And yesterday my family talked about them again in one of the Hari Raya open house. How weird we felt. How out of the ordinary to find our long lost cousin, which was not lost exactly. We are not talking about long lost cousin from some other exotic places here, like from China, Korea, America or somewhere. They are just staying in KB, and remember how small Brunei is? Do you think its so hard to keep in touch?

Anyway, I dont know whats the end of this. Are they now going to stay and be part of the family. Or this is just another short and sweet episode in our lives which will then submerge not to be heard from again? I dont have the answer. I guess time will tell.

My parents and my siblings planned to visit them in KB on friday, and asked us to join them. I am still contemplating whether to go or now. I cant decide. This is so very new to me and I find it hard to adjust to the fact that they are really our uncle & first cousins. Thats close relatives. I must also mention here that I am not the kind of person who easily warm up to others. I can be so unfriendly and dont welcome outsiders or strangers very easily. And I am having a hard time with this. I dont know. Maybe I havent have the time to embrace the whole situation, I havent spoken with any of them so that yet to be seen.

I still have a few days to decide for friday so I am asking Allah to give me the guidelines. I know the best bet is to join them for the visit, no harm in doing that but I have yet to convince my own heart about it.

A few of the cousins are also working with Shell. Well, thats to be expected if you are KBians. I heard from my brother they are trying to look for me but so far has been unsuccessful. So looks like its just a matter of time that we going to find out about each other. Am I happy to hear this? I am not sure.

Of course, its a good things to find relatives. Thats what Islam is all about. Tali sirratulrahim. We are all brothers and sisters. But as I said these are all so weird and I need time to adjust.

No comments: