Friday 21 May 2010

PTM - Parents Teachers Meeting

I went for my daughter PTM meeting this morning. As usual we were the first few people who turned up at the school. I am working so I need to be there early so I can go to work after that. The school looked kind of deserted at first so my daughter and I waited a few minutes in the car. Then we thought what the heck, lets get on with it. Afterall the circular said it would start at 7.45 and we were there at 8.15am so that’s ok.

My daughter wanted to see a few teachers and discussed about her performance. She is a bit worried that she didn’t do well in the mid year exam. Well, for me she is doing alright. Being 7 in her class and some really good marks. But still she wants to accomplish more. I know she is in a lot of stress and she has done a lot of studying and revising lately. But sometimes that doesn’t seem enough, she didn’t get the mark she desired so that made her so stressful. So I agreed to turn up today so I can ask the teachers myself if there is any tips for her to improve her studies.

So these are the pointers given by some of the teachers:

** Don’t be nervous during exam. How to avoid this? Try to do as many past year exam papers so by doing this you get familiar with the questions.

** Don’t spend too many hours studying. Take some breaks between studies. Say after one hour of studying, go have something to drink, have a shower , browse the internet, maybe for 15 minutes, then start again. By doing this, your level of concentration is always at the top (like a graph, always at the top).

** Try to have a summary of all topics. So you will not be overwhelmed with all the text books which could be so complicated and dense. Revise from the summary only, can bring the summary every where and just look or browse at them any time. Read all of the questions thoroughly before answering them. Don’t read half way then answer. You may not understand what is required.

** Don’t spend too much time on one question. If you cant answer, leave it and go back to it when you have the time.

** Don’t be too perfectionist (you could but not too much...) The teacher noticed that my daughter is very tidy with perfect handwriting and she even draw lines with a ruler for her mathematic. Her teacher told her this is not necessary, this could take time especially during exam. Just draw straight away and answer the question and get on with it.

** Don’t be too slow when answering the questions. Some papers only have 2 hrs so you got to be fast. Spend only about 2 minutes on every question.

I am happy that all the teachers said my daughter is a good student, she does all her work and finish all homework on time. She had homework and classwork all A’s. Maybe she just need some hand holding on how to enhance her potential. I know she can do well. I have all my faith in her.

It’s a good meeting today. I met with the principal again. She is my old school mate when I was in school until we were in Form 6, we grew up together. Havent met her in a long time, only when my daughter go to this school, we tend to cross path a lot more these days. As usual we talked and talked and talked. Mostly reminiscing the old days or talk about the school and the teachers and how well the school perform and all that. This school really has a good reputation. Very good result every year. They even have few students who are amongst the top 10 in the world. Not in Brunei, but in the world! That’s amazing. And she is a very good principal. She has done a lot to the school , very committed and I am happy that my daughter ended up going to this school.

Finishing up everything around 9.30am after a few rounds of samosas lol. We accomplished our mission, got we want – my daughter report card and some forms to fill in, and some good pointers.

No comments: