Friday 7 May 2010

20 years today!

20 years. Thats how long I’ve been working for this company. Today 7th May 2010 is my 20th anniversary. 20 years of my life is spent 8hrs a day in the office. My rewards? Not gonna tell but the company promised some monetary rewards and a certificate (got the certificate a week ago unceremoniously). Thats all. Wow.. where did all the time go? I cant believe its been 2 decades. I started working here in 1990, fresh from graduating. The company was my 3rd choice though. I’ve been offered jobs with 2 other companies and govt office in Brunei, but this company gave me the best benefits amid I had to live on my own and away from my family for the first time. I was very nervous, I was just this little girl starting a new job in a giant company like Brunei Shell. In those days, Brunei Shell was the leading company in Brunei, the best and everyone was proud to get hired.

I was offered 3 jobs once I finished my studies. And I got to pick which one I liked most. No pressure. I chose Brunei Shell in the end and started work on this day 20 years ago, signed my contract and off I went to my new office. I was also given a bachelor house in the area which was suitable for my single status. That began my working life. Those were the easy old days. Jobs were in abundance. You could afford to be picky. There were so many opportunities. Definitely the good old days

Of course, now competitions are really stiff. Gone are those days where its so easy to get jobs. So many graduates are without jobs. In my days, its such an easy tasks to look for jobs especially the graduates. So I pity the new generations, living longer has its own advantage after all.

20 years is such a long time. I’ve seen so many transformation this company has become. New faces everyday, new management and new way of working. Alot been going on since 20 years ago, I’ve grown from a young girl to a mature working mother these days which is not so bad. The job paid well, I could afford so many luxuries although there are things that I am not so happy about, but at the end of the day, I still can lead a happy simple life. And thats all that matters.

Although there are times when I feel enough is enough. I want to do something else. Stop working. I’ve spent 20 years of my life working for someone else. How do it feel to work for your own? Earn your own money, go to work on your own time. No need to report to anyone but yourself? Isnt that awesome?

No comments: