Tuesday 18 May 2010

eSaving Day


I am all in to support the esaving day (to be held on Monday 24th May in Brunei). The idea is on that day, the country is encouraged to switch off all the unused electrical appliances between 9am to 9pm. A website is dedicated for this effort and the hourly electricity readings will be updated there. That should be interesting to see and I am sure I will keep an eye on that on the day. I will participate but when I look at it, those are the times when we are all at work and we don’t consume the electricity that much. I think it would be more significant to do it during the weekend when everyone is at home and this is the best time to conserve.

Anyway, this year campaign has a motto, SOS which means Switch Off & Set, where there will be 3 steps you could take to save energy.

The 3 Steps are:
a) Switch off unnecessary lighting
b) Switch off water heating when not in use
c) Set your air-con to 24 degrees Celsius or 1 degree higher

Well… the first 2 are the norm in our households anyway. We usually switch off lights and water heater we don’t use. But the 3rd one could be tricky and I don’t know how bigger a difference in terms of energy saving 1 degree higher could make. But I am sure they know what they are talking about so we will see.

No comments: