Wednesday 28 April 2010

Tuition classes

I just heard a surprise news from my daughter. She wanted to quit her tuition. Because its not helping on her study. I didn’t know what to think. Was this a good idea at all? She insisted she wanted to go for tuition early on, hubby and I agreed with her that she needed some sort of helping hands in her study. So we looked around and gave her the opportunity and hoping these tuition classes will help her further. This new turn of event surprised us. But when she told me her rationale behind the decision, it did make sense. Didnt expect her to think that way, maybe I under estimate my "little" girl (I always thought of her as my little girl, although she will be 16 in a week!), she is more grown up and mature than I thought. And for that I am so proud of her.

Well, I guess its true if your expectation was not met, the best way is just stop expecting and move on. I sent her for Physics and Chemistry tuitions but it seemed that the tutors were not capable enough to handle the syllabus. My daughter was having a hard time understanding the tutors. My daughter told me when she asked questions there were times when the tutors were not sure of themselves of the answers. And it didn’t help at all since she became more confused. And its very very important that she understands her subjects and these tutors should be able to eradicate any confusion and misunderstanding she might have. There is no time to waste, her big exam is coming and looming. And we have to act fast.

And more so, she is already attending extra classes from her school. Every day. These teachers are trying very hard to improve the students grade and get themselves ready for the exam. And my daughter was correct when she said her teachers are good teachers, have all the experiences they need and know the trade very well. So why should she need these tuition classes where all the tutors were not really established teachers, and some were only students themselves? Mm.. make sense, right?

So we have reached a decision. I will allow her to quit Physics and Chemistry but she will still have to go for Maths and POA tuitions. Since I think for these 2 subjects, all you need are good practice, over and over again. And she told me her school teachers for Maths and POA are not as good as the rest so I think its only fair to have a helping hand in these 2 subjects.

Her mid year exam is now over, and now is the moment of truth. How well she performed. Did she get good marks? She knew a few already, the results were quiet ok although I feel she could do better. If she allow herself to push a little bit further then I am sure she can do very well. A mother could always hope right?

No comments: