Wednesday 21 April 2010

Cancer Pre-Screening Day

We went to our Cancer pre screening appt today.

Hubby appt started at 8am and without any delay, his was finished in about 30 minutes, x-ray and all. He was all done while I was still waiting for the doctor to do her round at the ward and hubby joined me at the gynae department. I was alone at first and joined by a few very pregnant ladies with their husbands, not very comfortable with it and I was so relieved when hubby arrived and sit with me. At least we can talked and joked around. I was a bit tense looking at these people and only when hubby joined me felt ok. Then being the impatient me, I went to reception and enquired why the doctor was so late. Mind you we have been waiting for about 45 minutes already and still no doctor. They apologized and informed me the ward was full this week so the doctor had to do many rounds. Well, who could argue with that but at least the clinic could have an extra one or two doctors to attend to all the patients but hey I think I can survive 45 minutes.

At around 9ish, my doctor turned up, met her for the first time, a petite Malay doctor from Malaysia. Same age as me even so we clicked quiet ok. The appointment started with the usual Q&A about my medical history and all. I had the whole file in front of her since this is not the first time I was there, so basically we all on the same level on where I am in that department. She told me, I will undergo some blood test, will do x-ray and pap smear. These are all covered, then I asked her, what about mammogram? She shake her head, this is apparently not included and I have to pay B$150 extra for that test. For me that test is very important, it can detect the slight abnormalities in the breast so I feel I need to have that test, so I think I want to be scheduled for one, amid I have to pay extra. So its settled, mammogram here I come. Don’t want to think about that now, since I know that procedure could be uncomfortable so I will worry about it when the time comes.

Then we proceeded with the pap smear in another room. Again this is not the first time I did this so I know whats going to happen. It took about 10 minutes, the doctor told me everything to see on the screen and she found a big fabriod on my uterine wall, which was quiet scary when I looked at it. But the doctor told me not to worry. Shouldn’t I? To find out something is growing in my uterus? I know fibroid is common occurance anyway but still I need to look into it further if need be.

The x-ray and mammogram will have to be scheduled on another date. So its going to be on 29th April at 3.15pm. I am thinking of taking the day off on that day, since I couldn’t afford to be at work and have to rush to the clinic. But I may be working from Bandar so we will see how it goes.

2nd consultation will be on 5th of May, that’s when I’ll be seeing the doctor again and discussed the result and decide on what to do next if it comes to that. We were all done at around 10.30am with the next appointments in hand.

So for now, my mind is set for 29th April where I will undergo the x-ray and mammogram. Hubby also has his 2nd consultation on the same day so its good to coincide together.

Nervous… nervous… for the mammogram. But even more nervous for the result!
This is the main lobby of the clinic, JPMC.


Main entrance to the Gynae Clinic where I had all my test and consultation.

Hubby reading while waiting for me and my test.
Had lunch at Secret Recipe when everything was over for the day.

No comments: