Wednesday 24 March 2010

Almost 60 and still working?

Just need to record this. Our retirement age is now moved up to 60! In conjunction with the recent government ruling of new SCP scheme. A few years ago, the retirement age for females in our company was 50, then it was changed with a new twist. We (female employees) can retire either at 50 or 55. We were allowed to choose whether to go on working until 55 or opted for 50 to retire. Sounded good. Some of my collegues chose the latter, considering we need to look into other areas of our life that need to be addressed. We realised life is not only for working and obtaining the worldly possessions. We must also remember the afterlife and our preparations for that journey. Spend more time at home and do all our religious duties, thats the idea. All were said and done and taken care of.

But then came this new law and unfortunately the law superseded the older law. Now EVERYONE has to retired at 60! No more choices.

I must admit that I have some concerns about this. For a woman like me and who has to travel to work every day. 3 hrs per day in total on the road can really upset my body and soul. Its just so tiring and I am not even 60 yet! Imagine I still have to do this way beyond 50 years old. How would I be like then? Could I still afford to drive to work if hubby not around? Would I still be able to think sharply and handle all the work matters which sometimes can be very challenging? Could I still remember names and work procedures and processes? Would I need canes or even wheel chairs to reach my office? Hahaha.

Well, maybe I am too hard on myself. Maybe I will be ok and still look good at 60. Maybe my mind is still as sharp as a knife, who knows?? But the possibility is still there I might be too old to work until 60.

I know my mom worked as a teacher until she was 55. She was alright still healthy and active at 55. So maybe it can be done. If I take good care of my self, keep healthy, eat right and exercise. Maybe I can. Or maybe I cannot. It is really a tough decision whether to carry on or not.

But I really like the idea of staying home more. Especially at this age and beyond. I feel its time for me to slow down a bit on the work front. Afterall I’ve been working for 20 years of my life and I guess its a good time to look at other areas of my life. And spend my older days doing all the religious duties as a muslim, doing all the good deeds, all the amalan and think of the afterlife more. I wish I could stop thinking about going to work and be in the office on time every day.

No comments: