Friday 15 October 2010

Mission Accomplished - Chile

I've been watching the rescue operations in Chile for the 33 trapped miners on CNN.  I was really impressed with the Chilean government for spending so much money on equipments, time, energy and other expenses to rescue these men.  What an amazing job.  I felt like the whole country stand still to observe the whole ordeal and celebrated jubilantly when it was successful.

I came to know about this story when hubby told me about them and showed me some of their earlier vidoes.  It was really scary, the mine looked chilling, dark with confined spaces.  But they looked happy, resilient and strong willed.  I guessed this made them survive the ordeal.  It was 17 days before they were able to make contact with the outside world.  They were trapped 700 metres underground when the tunnel collapsed and the men trapped inside.  At first, they didnt know when they would be rescued and only ate once every 48hours.  They did have a good supervisor though who took charge and guided the men for their survival.  Although it must be very horrowing to be in that situation and some lost more than 15 kg from the ordeal.

I can only imagine how the families must have felt.  To think their husbands were buried alive underground and at first didnt know when they would see them again.  It must be a traumatic experience for both the men and their wives and families.

But I cant help but feelin impress how the world reacted when something of this magnitude happened.  How everyone started to contribute and gave a helping hand.  From the news there were some big companies who helped, like UPS who helped to ship the heavy equipments from certain places to Chile, Oakley the sunglasses giant helped to provide the dark sunglasses the men wore when they came out from the earth, and so many others.  I am glad to know about this, at least I know the world is not a bad place after all.




No comments: