Wednesday 22 April 2009

How long it takes..

If you are interested in how long it takes the items we toss into our garbage to decompose?

Read on:

Paper ................... 2 to 5 months
Orange peels ............ 6 months
Milk cartons ............ 5 years
Filter-tip cigarettes ... 10 to 12 years
Plastic bags ............ 10 to 20 years
Leather shoes ........... 24 to 40 years
Plastic containers ...... 50 to 80 years
Disposable diapers ...... 75 years
Tin cans ................ 100 years
Aluminum cans ........... 200 to 500 years

Styrofoam ............... Never

I wish the supermarkets stop giving us plastic bags and use paper bags instead but I dont know if the supermarkets even care. I for one still use lots of plastic bags even styrofoam but now that I know how these products can stay in our environment for a long time, I wish I could do more to avoid using them. One thing for sure, these products can be recycled so that they would cause less pollution and havoc to the environment if dumped in the dumping areas.

No comments: