Monday 10 June 2013

Pavlova is so yummy..!!

I've been baking a number of cakes for a few weeks now and I am loving it!!!

This weekend I tried my hands on pavlova.  I've read that it is so easy to make and the ingredients are simple and easy to find, easily available at home.

So I googled the recipe and found so many of them in the internet!  So popular I must say lol...

I gave it a try and it really was so easy and fast to make.  And it was so yummy too... I made it not so sweet especially on the meringue and the topping so it easy on the tongue as well.  So heavenly.  Like you are eating a cloud... lol.

And since I am into cupcakes these days, I made the pavlova in a cupcake style.  I could do it in a big chunk but prefer to have it in a separate mini cups so me and the family could savour it one by one and not to spoil the design and taste.  I freeze them in the refrigerator but I didnt put the topping and fruits on top until serving so as to preserve the freshness and the crispiness of the meringue.  Cant wait to savour it again later!

Serves 6-8, makes approx 16 cupcakes or 1 large pavlova

 
Ingredients:
 
6 free range egg whites
1 ½ cups of castor sugar (I only use not even a cup and it really was enough and not too sweet).
Squeeze lemon juice
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tbs corn flour
1 tbs vinegar


The topping:

500ml thickened cream (I didnt put sugar on it)
1 punnet strawberries

Other fruits that can be used - bananas, kiwi fruit, peaches, etc.  Use sour fruits to counter attack the sweetness.

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 110°C
  • Line 2 cupcake trays with papers or lay a sheet of baking paper on a tray.
  • In an electric mixer whip the egg whites on high until frothy.
  • Keep beating on high and slowly add the sugar.
  • Keep beating on high until the meringue reaches stiff peak (when you lift the beater the peaks hold their shape and don’t fold). This will take about 5 min.
  • Add a squeeze of lemon juice and the vanilla and beat again quickly to mix it through.
  • Use an ice cream scoop (those ones with the squeeze handles) to scoop the mixture into the cupcake papers or use a spatula to spread the mixture onto the pan in the shape of a circle.
  • Bake on a low temp until light brown and crispy. Approx 45 min for cupcakes or approx 1.5 hrs for a large one.
  • Turn off the oven and let it cool slowly with the oven slightly ajar.
  • Whip the cream (do not add sugar!). This can be done in advance, while it is in the oven or just before serving.
 Just before serving cover with cream, chop fruit and decorate.
 
 And these are the work I've done:
 

Whipping the white egg until frothy.  It took maybe 5 minutes

Tadaa...


Ready to go in the oven

Ready to eat!!!

Look at that! So yummmyyy...

No comments: