Wednesday 20 March 2013

I am in pain!

I've been having this serious pain in my arms.  Its very painful when I lift my right arm, kind of like someone is poking me with a knife from inside.  Its been going on for a few months.  At first I didnt really worry about it, try to carry on and ignore it.  Until such time that it really was bothering me very much.  I went to massage centres a few times, to relieve the tiredness I was feeling but the pain still lingering and bothering me.

I decided to take it one step further by going to the doctor.  So I went to JPMC and see what they had to say.  After some discussions and diagnosis, they concluded that I had a tendonitis and I need a physiotheraphist to look at my problem.

Tendonitis is an arm pain which is experienced upon lifting them, could be due to tendonitis. A tendon is a fibrous tissue which is the link between the bones and the muscles. Any kind of swelling or inflammation in the tendons due to a number of causes such as trauma, injury or due to their excess usage, can cause tendonitis. Tendonitis in the upper arm area, besides causing pain, presents itself with symptoms such as swelling in the joints and warmth in the affected area.

Just to share some illustrations that I found about the problem.  I tell you its really is painful and has hindered me from doing my everyday chores.  So inconvenient.



My pain is from my supraspinatus muscle tendon

The theraphist gave me so many tips and advice.  One thing for sure was my right arm was so overworked!  Hehehe... that sounds so funny but of course its true.  I've spent 8 hours on the computer everyday at work.  Then I drive to work.  At home I continue to use my right arm at home to do my house chores.  I lift so many things and I do alot of chopping as well, especially the chicken!  Which requires strength and energy.  And they told me my supraspinatus,wow.. what a fancy name for a tendon :) is swollen and needs rest.


My trip to the physiotheraphy department
Inside the physiotheraphy department, a few are doing their physiotheraphy when I was there.  That was my daughter accompanying me.
  
Inside the treatment room

I was also given treatment called  Therupatic Ultrasound theraphy which helps to reduce the swelling, increase blood flow to the area and to rebuild more new cells.  I hope it works!

So these are the things I cannot do:

  • No heavy lifting
  • No hanging of my right hand when typing on my computer
  • No sleeping on my right side
  • No heavy chopping

And I need to do a bit of exercise and put some ice into my arms 3 times a day.

Phew.. I didnt realise its going to be this hard.  Its nearly impossible not to use my right arm when I at home and in the office!

Another appointment was arranged next week, I hope I will be getting better soon since it really was getting annoying with this pain.


 

No comments: