Sunday 25 January 2009

The aftermath

The recent flood had distrupted so many lives in Brunei, as we all heard from the news and read from the papers. There were even casualties, a rare occurance in our peaceful Brunei. I didnt realise the magnitude of the flood is so great until the next day when news flashed every where on how the whole big chunk of Brunei was under water and electricity was cut off for 4 days. The famous shopping mall was closed for a few days even the hotels because of the power failure and Gadong became a ghost town. Thats what I heard.

It was a heavy downpour again last night at our area. Although it was not so bad as on the 21st Jan but I was a nervous wreck nevertheless. Couldnt sleep until the rain stopped around 2am and the water rose for a few inches in our front porch. I wonder why the weather will improve.

We are the lucky ones who had maids because every time the water rises, the mud and debris were brought in. And we need to clean up afterwards. Not a nice job to do but its your front porch you had to do it whether you like it or not. I took this pictures of our neighbours from my bedroom where they had to do the deed after the flood. Sorry guys for taking this picture but I have to say I pity you all for having to do this every time!


No comments: